Thursday, August 10, 2006

CHAPTER 20

The incident behind us, Kyle and I remained good friends. I continued seeking refuge at night in his room, and he helped me with my reports for the yearbook, giving suggestions and opinion from an athlete's point of view.
I felt truly contented, and at peace with myself. I was happy in Kyle's company; he was a perfect friend. He was a stabilising influence that I badly needed.
The school term ended in November. Those sitting for their O levels had to stay behind to face the exams the first week of December. They were housed in a dormitory closest to the examination hall. The year book editorial committee was given rooms in another dormitory block.
With Kyle gone for the holidays, I felt a little strange. Working in the same room with Adrian was quite unnerving at first. I was still feeling guilty over the incident where I had badly bruised his pride -- and body. So I avoided him as much as I could.
Of Nick, who was sitting for the exams, I saw plenty -- at least two times a day during lunch and dinner. We never spoke to each other, although sometimes in rare bursts of friendliness, I would nod at him when I caught him staring at me.
However, flesh is flesh, and its temptation I greatly felt as I sat in my chair typing and editing, with Adrian sitting right opposite me.
His mere presence evoked memory of our exploits, stirring old passion in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home